The Best Natural Exfoliators: My Full Review
If there is just one thing I would do for my skin, it would be to exfoliate. I mean, besides cleansing my skin, exfoliating is a close second in my skincare routine. Because I've been taking care of my skin for as long as I can remember, I've also tried a lot of different products. Some I have purchased over and over again and others not so much. And now I want to share the best natural exfoliators I've found with you.
This post was originally published September 19, 2019. This blog post has been updated as of March 2, 2021.
Whenever I talk to people about their skincare routine, I often find that they aren't exfoliating. They tell me they either "don't have time" or they don't know why they need to or which ones are good to use. Well, I am here to tell you that it really doesn't take much time at all to do and also share with you the best natural exfoliators I've tried.
So why is exfoliating so important for your skin? Here are some reasons you may want to start exfoliating:
- Helps with Dry Skin: When you exfoliate, you remove and slough off any dead skin which will helps if you have dry skin. So if you find you have dry patches or flaky skin, try exfoliating weekly. By removing the old dead skin cells, you make room for new healthier cells to show.
- Helps Your Skin Glow: Especially if you have sun spots or hyperpigmentation, exfoliating is important. Exfoliating will help lighten those spots over time, but remember, this happens over time, not after just one use.
- Smoother Skin: Because exfoliation helps to remove dead skin cells, your skin will look smoother and more even. Even after just one use, you will often see that your skin looks smoother.
- Helps Your Other Skincare Products Work Better: Because you are sloughing off that dead skin, your skin is better able to absorb the other products you use. All those expensive oils, serums and creams cannot penetrate your skin if the dead skin is blocking its way!
- Increased Collagen Production & Reduction in Fine Lines: Long term benefits of exfoliation can help to increase collagen production, which declines as we get older. Exfoliating can also help with reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by removing those extra layers of dead skin cells that are exaggerating those lines in the first place.
The Best Natural Exfoliators I Recommend
This one exfoliator is probably one of my faves and in my opinion is one of the best natural exfoliators. I've been using it for years and it still gets me every time I use it. The powder formula becomes activated once water is added to it and it becomes mousse like in its texture. I typically just apply it and leave it on for up to one minute and then rinse off. Every time I use it, I see great results. It isn't too harsh, but the result is glowing and smoother looking skin. The price is higher, but the quality and the size of it make it worth it in my opinion. It is my go-to for a reason! Typically, I use it once to twice a week.
My rating: 9.5/10
This is another powder formula that becomes active when mixed with water. I found this product really messy when trying to mix it up and the results weren't that great to me. I didn't really like the smell of it either, although that is a personal preference of course. Overall, I wouldn't repurchase it and it wouldn't be a product I'd personally recommend.
My rating: 6/10
This is a newer product for me and one that I have been pretty happy with. Like all Josh Rosebrook products, this one is packed with lots of plant and herbal extracts. I do like this one because I can leave it on for a while, sometimes up to an hour and when I take it off, my skin definitely has a nice glow to it. Afterwards, I love spritzing some of this Hydrating Accelerator on, it is my absolute favourite mist, although it is so much more than a mist (read more about it here), trust me! The only drawback to this exfoliator is the size for the price. I find it steep for the amount of product you get.
My rating: 8/10
I like this product because it can act as a cleanser, exfoliator and mask. It is loaded with ingredients like honey, raw cacao, white clay, maracuja and rosehip oils. The natural enzymes from the honey work to exfoliate and get rid of those dead skin cells while the raw cacao stimulates blood circulation in your skin. This one can be a bit on the sticky side, so I usually find that I can only leave it on for a shorter period of time. The jar is quite large and has lasted me quite a while. Overall I do like it and for the price and size I think it is worth it, especially because it is a multi-purpose product.
My rating: 7.5/10
I have written about this product before because I love it! I will say, out of the many Tata Harper products I have tried, this one is my favourite and worth the hype. It works like a traditional peel except that it is all natural. And it reminds me of a conventional peel product that I used to buy all the time and loved. The glow you get from it afterwards is great and it really works to detox and clear your pores. I have bought it in the past and would buy it again and recommend it.
My rating: 8.5/10
- The price is hefty, but I did like it quite a bit after trying a good size sample of the product.
- I love that the results are pretty instant, as you only leave it on for a few minutes.
- My skin looks a lot brighter and clearer after using.
My rating: 8.5/10 (knocking some points because the price is quite high)
I have been a big fan of Kypris Beauty products for years because the whole line is amazing in terms of ingredients, quality and effectiveness. Side note- the antioxidant dew is one of my fave products of all time and I have purchased it a bunch of times and will continue to do so.
This exfoliator leaves your skin glowing and very smooth after using. I would definitely recommend this product to anyone looking to get their skin glow-y, smooth and bright. It is definitely one of the best natural exfoliators I have tried.
My rating: 9/10
I find this exfoliator the most mild of them all, but it still works fairly well. It was one of the first all natural exfoliators I used and although I liked it, I personally think there are more effective products out there. Although, if you have very sensitive skin or dry skin, this may be the right product for you.
My rating: 7.5/10
That wraps up my review about the best natural exfoliators that I have tried. I wanted to share a rating on each product so you can have a better understanding of which products I really like.
Working at The Detox Market in the past afforded me a lot of opportunity to get to know the brands and the products. I learned so much from working there. I have purchased many products over the years, with some being my ride-or-die repurchases. Those are the ones I am so passionate about.
Note: This code DOES NOT apply to sale section, product bundles such as the latest Detox Your Beauty Box, gift cards and all May Lindstrom, Kypris Beauty and Vintner’s Daughter products.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only share products and services I have personally used and love. Disclosure here.
I'd love to hear from you, what has been the best natural exfoliator you've tried?