Broccoli & Feta Salad
This roasted broccoli and feta salad has lentils for protein (and fibre) and a crunchy almond-lemon dressing on top. It's great for meal prep, as a side or a main!
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Bring a medium sized pot of salted water to a boil. Add the lentils, and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes, until the lentils are cooked through and slightly al dente. Once finished cooking, drain excess water through a sieve and transfer to a large bowl.
- While the lentils are cooking, make the broccoli. Transfer the florets to a large baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tbsps of olive oil and season with salt and the za'atar. Spread them out (use two baking sheets if needed) and transfer to the oven. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes, flipping after 10 minutes, until browned on the edges and just fork tender. Transfer them to the bowl that the lentils will go into.
- While the broccoli is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium-low heat, pour in the remaining 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsps of olive oil. Once warm, add the almonds and peppers and toast for three to four minutes, until just starting to brown. Add the cumin and fennel seeds and let the spices bloom and toast for about one to two minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat and drain the nuts from the oil using a sieve over a bowl, leaving the oil in the bowl. Transfer the nuts mixture to a paper towel lined plate and season with a good pinch of salt.
- To the bowl with the hot oil, add the lemon juice and preserved lemon (if using).
- Pour about 1/2 of the oil/lemon mixture over the lentils and broccoli and add in the almond/pepper mixture. Top with feta cheese and parsley and drizzle the remaining dressing over top.
- Taste and adjust with more oil/lemon and season with salt if needed. Enjoy!