Charlie Bird Farro Salad: The Best Farro Salad Ever
My version of Charlie Bird's delicious farro salad with arugula, sweet potato and a simple lemon vinaigrette.
- 1 cup Farro rinsed
- 2 cups Chicken Broth low sodium, or use vegetable broth
- 1 cup Water
- 1 large Sweet Potato chopped into cubes
- 1 tsp Avocado Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 5 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice fresh
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 cup Mint loosely packed
- 1 cup Basil loosely packed
- 1/3 cup Parmesan freshly grated
- 5 cups Arugula
- 1/2 cup Pistachios
- Flaky Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF (191ºC) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the farro along with the liquids (chicken/vegetable broth and water) to a medium sized pot and add a good pinch of kosher salt. Bring to a light boil and then simmer for 30 minutes or according to package directions. Taste after 30 minutes to check if the farro is cooked to your liking. Remove from heat, and strain any remaining liquid. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, while the farro is cooking add the sweet potato to the baking sheet and toss with avocado oil and salt and pepper. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until fork tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice and 1/4 tsp kosher salt.
- Thinly slice the mint and basil and set aside. Grate the parmesan into thin slices using a vegetable peeler.
- Add the arugula to a large bowl, then add the cooked farro and sweet potato. Add the mint and basil and then drizzle the lemon vinaigrette on top. Garnish with pistachios and flaky salt. Serve and enjoy!