Creamy carrot pasta sauce: Dairy-Free
A creamy, dairy-free carrot pasta sauce made with roasted carrots, spices and topped with a flavorful carrot top and parsley gremolata.
For the pasta
For the gremolata:
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the raw cashews in just boiled hot water to soak for 30 minutes, while the carrots are roasting. This can also be done ahead of time too.
- Place the chopped carrots onto the baking sheet and drizzle some extra virgin olive oil on top along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the garlic cloves as well. Roast for about 40 minutes, until fork tender. The garlic will be done sooner, so take those out after about 25 minutes. Pop them out of their skins.
- Once the carrots are cooked through, add them to your blender along with the soaked and drained cashews, roasted garlic, 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, miso, water, 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, and salt. Blend until very smooth and creamy, adding more water if necessary to get to a smooth consistency.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add your pasta and cook according to package directions, and then set aside.
- While your pasta is cooking, cook the pine nuts over medium-low heat in a small skillet.
- Once toasted, set them aside. Chop the carrot tops and parsley and add to a small bowl. Add the toasted pine nuts, remaining 1 tbsp of lemon juice and zest, Aleppo pepper and salt. Drizzle the EVOO into the bowl and toss.
- Add the carrot pasta sauce to your pasta and mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Top it off with a nice spoonful of gremolata. Enjoy!