Crispy Potato Nests with Quail Eggs + Chorizo
Easy, delicious and portable crispy potato nests with eggs, chorizo, and all the right spices.
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF and grease a muffin tin with oil. Place the muffin tin in the oven while it preheats and you prepare the potatoes.
- Shred your potatoes in a food processor or on a box grater.
- Place the shredded potatoes in a clean dish towel and drain the potato to remove the water. There is a lot of water, so be sure to really wring out the towel to get the shredded potato nice and dry.
- Once your potato is nice and dry, add it to large bowl. Add the flour, spices and salt and mix.
- Take out your muffin tin. Use your hands to form a nest and then place in the muffin tin. Press down in the center a little so you'll have room for the eggs later. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until browned a little and starting to get crispy.
- While the potatoes are baking, heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add a splash of oil to the pan. Add the crumbled chorizo and let it cook undisturbed for three to five minutes, until crispy. Then flip and continue cooking until browned, cooked through and no longer pink.
- Remove the muffin tin from the oven. Add a small bit of the crumbled chorizo to the egg nests. Use a serrated knife to crack open the quail eggs and add these to the potato nests. Place back in the oven to bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the whites are set and the yolks are still a little runny.
- Remove the muffin tin and add more chorizo on top, followed by the sliced jalapeño and cilantro.