Easy Vegan Vodka Sauce: One Pot Penne Alla Vodka
This one pot penne alla vodka is packed with flavor and is ready in no time. And it just so happens to be vegan!
- Place your cashews in just boiled water and soak for at least 30 minutes, or longer if you have time. Set aside while you do the rest.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the diced onion and cook for about five minutes, until softened. Then add in the smashed garlic and cook for two to three minutes longer, until fragrant and just starting to brown.
- Add in the tomato paste, red pepper flakes and salt. Mix well to combine and cook for about five to seven minutes until deep red and starting brown on the bottom.
- Pour in your vodka and deglaze the pan, stir to release all of the bits on the bottom.
- Add in your pasta and water and stir continuously until cooked through. Cook according to package directions on your pasta.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the cashews to a blender along with 1 cup of water. Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- When your pasta is just about finished cooking, add in the cashew cream and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper and top with basil and vegan parmesan (if using). Enjoy!