French Lentil Salad with Kale and Feta
A delicious, hearty salad with french lentils, kale, and a savoury spiced almond oil dressing. Perfect for meal prep!
- Bring a medium sized pot of salted water to a boil. Add the lentils, and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes, until the lentils are cooked through and slightly al dente. Once finished cooking, drain any excess water remaining through a sieve.
- Meanwhile, while the lentils are cooking prepare the almond oil dressing. In a skillet over medium-low heat, add the extra virgin olive oil. Once hot, add the garlic and cook while stirring for about 2 to 3 minutes. Then add the almonds and cook for an additional 3 minutes, until just slightly toasted. Add the cumin seeds, fennel seeds, coriander seeds and chili flakes and turn the heat off.
- Place a small sieve over a small bowl and drain the nut mixture, reserving the oil for later. Place the almonds and spices on a paper towel lined plate and add a pinch of sea salt to them.
- Taking a few slices of kale at a time, roll them into a cigar shape and then slice into thin ribbons. Then slice again to cut long ribbons in half. Place in a large salad bowl. Add a tablespoon of the spiced oil to the kale and massage with your hands, until the kale is softened.
- Add the kalalmata olives to the kale salad along with the lentils, feta and the toasted almond mixture. Squeeze the lemon juice on top, along with the zest from the lemon, toss and serve. Or store in a container for a meal prep ready salad.