Gouda Mac and Cheese
You're going to love this easy, creamy gouda mac and cheese! It's full of flavour, easy to make and deliciously decadent.
- 10 oz macaroni (dry, gluten-free if needed)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 cups milk (2% or whole), with more added as needed to thin the sauce (1 tbsp at a time)
- 6 oz sharp cheddar cheese (grated) (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 5 oz gouda cheese (young gouda) (grated) (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (to taste)
- 1/3 cup panko, toasted, for topping (optional)
- fresh chives (for garnish)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the macaroni according to package directions, drain and set aside in a large bowl. Drizzle with a small amount of olive oil to keep from sticking.
- In a large pot (you can use the same one used to cook the pasta) over medium heat, add the butter and melt. Once just melted, add the flour and whisk very well (creating a roux, which is used to thicken the sauce) and let it bubble for one minute, while whisking constantly. Reduce the heat to medium-low and then slowly pour in the milk, while whisking, until smooth.
- Bring to a low boil and then reduce the heat. Stir in both of the cheeses (gradually) with a wooden spoon until melted and smooth.
- Season with salt and smoked paprika and remove from the heat.
- Add the macaroni to the pot with the cheese and mix to combine, until the macaroni is fully coated in the cheese sauce. Move it into a large bowl or serving dish so it doesn't keep cooking.
- To toast the panko, simply add it to a small skillet over medium-low heat with a small drizzle of olive oil and stir occasionally until lightly browned and toasted, about three to four minutes.
- Top the gouda mac and cheese with toasted panko and chives. Season with salt and pepper. Enjoy!