Greek Roast Chicken
This whole Greek roast chicken with potatoes is a hands off sheet pan dinner with tons of flavour!
- 1 whole chicken (about 3 1/2 to 4 lb)
- 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic glaze
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary (plus extra for garnish)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp marjoram
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp Aleppo pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1 1/2 lb Yukon gold potatoes, halved or quartered (if large)
- 6 shallots, halved or quartered (if large)
- 2 1/4 tsp kosher salt, divided
- flaky salt (for serving, optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Let the chicken sit out of the fridge for at least 30 minutes so it becomes closer to room temperature. If you have the time, let it sit out for 45 minutes to one hour.
- Once the chicken has reached room temperature, place the chicken on a large rimmed baking sheet, skin side up and pat dry with paper towel.
- In a large bowl, squeeze the juice from half a lemon and reserve the other half for later. To the bowl, add the olive oil, balsamic, garlic, rosemary, oregano, marjoram, thyme, Aleppo pepper, parsley and dill. Mix to combine.
- Pour about half of the oil/spice mixture all over the chicken, being sure to rub it in very well and get in all the nooks and crannies. Then liberally salt the chicken all over with 1 1/4 tsp of the salt. Be sure to have it sitting skin side up.
- To the bowl with the remaining oil mixture, add the potatoes and shallots and toss well to combine, add the remaining 1 tsp of salt. Pour the potatoes and shallots alongside the chicken. Slice the remaining half of the lemon and scatter around the sheet pan.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and cook for 35 minutes. Remove the baking sheet and toss the potatoes and shallots around and return to the oven. Reduce the oven temperature to 350ºF and bake for 25 to 30 minutes longer, until the chicken is golden brown and and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the meaty part of the thigh reads 160 to 165 degrees. It will come up in temperature as it sits.
- Remove the chicken and set aside on a cutting board, covered loosely with foil and let rest for at least ten minutes. Carve and serve with the potatoes, shallots and lemon. Garnish with rosemary and season with flaky salt. Enjoy!