Harissa Chicken Thighs in Lettuce Wraps
Delicious harissa chicken thighs served in lettuce wraps with a lemony yogurt dressing and lots of fresh herbs!
For the Chicken
For the Spiced Almonds
For the Yogurt
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 clove Garlic finely minced
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice plus zest from 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 tsp Sumac
For the Wraps
- 1 Head Boston Lettuce washed, dried
- 1/2 Cucumber sliced thin
- 1/4 cup Fresh Dill chopped
- 1/4 cup Fresh Parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup Fresh Mint chopped
- In a large bowl, add the chicken along with the harissa, spices, salt and extra virgin olive oil. See note about the type of harissa paste you use. Let this marinate for at least 20 to 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF (204ºC). Place the chicken in an oven safe baking dish and place in the oven to cook for 28-32 minutes, flipping halfway through, until cooked through and the juices run clear. Remove, let cool and then shred the chicken with two forks.
- If you want to have your chicken a little more crispy, broil the shredded chicken on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Broil for about 4 to 5 minutes on high. Do this right before serving.
- Meanwhile, prepare the spiced almonds. In a small skillet over medium-low heat, add the extra virgin olive oil and the chopped almonds. Toast for about 5 to 6 minutes, until fragrant and slightly toasted in colour. Add the cumin seeds and sumac and toss to combine. Turn off the heat. Drain the olive oil using a small sieve and reserve the oil for the yogurt. Add the almonds to a plate lined with paper towel and set aside. Season with kosher salt.
- In a small bowl, add the yogurt, minced garlic, lemon juice and zest and reserved oil from the almonds and stir to combine. Sprinkle with sumac and set aside.
- To serve: add the lettuce wraps to a plate, top with sliced cucumber, chicken, toasted almonds and yogurt. Top with fresh herbs and enjoy!