Healthy Breakfast Tacos with Easy Salsa Verde
Soft scrambled eggs are the perfect addition to these healthy breakfast tacos along with an easy DIY salsa verde.
For the Salsa Verde
- 1/2 lb Tomatillos about 3-4, husked and rinsed
- 1 Serrano Pepper stemmed
- 1/2 Shallot roughly chopped
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 1/4 cup Cilantro roughly chopped
- 1/2 tbsp Lime Juice
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
For the Tacos
- 6 Eggs
- pinch Kosher Salt and Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Butter or ghee
- 1/4 cup Cotija divided, crumbled, optional
- pinch Ancho Chile Powder optional
For the Toppings
- 8 small Corn Tortillas
- 1 Avocado sliced
- 2 stalks Green onion sliced thin in the bias
- 1/4 Watermelon Radish sliced thin
- 1/4 cup Cilantro roughly chopped, optional
- 1 Lime for squeezing on top of tacos
Make the Salsa Verde
- Preheat the oven to broil and move the oven rack to the highest position. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and add the husked tomatillo and serrano. Broil for about 5 minutes, then remove, flip, and broil for an additional 4 to 5 minutes, until charred. Let cool slightly.
- In a blender or food processor, add the cooled tomatillios and serrano pepper along with the remaining salsa verde ingredients. Pulse or blend until the mixture is mostly smooth and no large chunks of tomatillo remain. The sauce will thicken in the fridge. You can prepare this ahead of time.
Make the Eggs
- In a medium sized bowl, crack the eggs and add salt and pepper. Whisk well until frothy looking and incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat and once hot, add the butter. Once melted, add the eggs to the pan and move them around with a spatula continuously. Keep pushing the eggs around the skillet until fluffy and barely set, about 2 minutes. Add half of the cotija and the ancho powder and toss to combine just slightly. They should still look slightly runny on top. Remove from the heat and set aside on a plate.
- Divide the eggs into the taco and top with salsa verde, avocado, green onion, radish, cilantro and remaining cotija. Garnish with lime wedges and tortillas for serving.