You're going to love this hearty and healthy loaded potato soup! Not only is it super easy to make, you can customize it in so many ways.
- Heat a large dutch oven over medium heat and add a splash of oil (or broth). Add in the onion and cook until softened, about five to seven minutes, stirring often. Add in the garlic, salt, smoked paprika and ancho chili powder and stir. Cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Toss in the potatoes and stir. Pour in the broth and milk and bring to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about ten minutes.
- Remove about half of the soup and pour into a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy and then pour back into the pot. Simmer for ten minutes longer over low heat and then serve with the toppings and season to taste with salt and fresh pepper.
If making the crispy potato skins, prep them first.
- Preheat the oven to 400℉.
- If the potato skins will be sitting for a little bit, place them in a large bowl and cover with water. Then remove and dry very well with a clean kitchen towel.
- Place the potato skins in a bowl and toss with a little extra virgin olive oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Transfer to a large baking sheet being sure to space them out.
- Bake in the oven for ten minutes, remove and give them a toss and then bake for seven to ten minutes longer, until crispy.