These flavourful kimchi burgers are inspired by one of my favourite spots in Toronto. They're made with ground beef, kimchi and topped with a delicious gochujang sauce.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp gochujang paste
- 2 tbsps chopped pickles
- 1/2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 lb ground beef (70/30 lean to fat ratio)
- 6-8 slices American cheese
- 1/4 head iceberg lettuce, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup kimchi, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsps chopped white onion
- 8 soft hamburger buns (toasted) (potato buns are great)
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, gochujang, pickles and rice vinegar. Taste and adjust for salt and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the ground beef and season with salt and pepper. Cook until browned and cooked through. Use a spatula to break it apart and chop the ground beef up.
- Once the beef is cooked through, remove from the heat and place cheese slices over top. Drizzle a small amount of water in the skillet to steam it up and cover with a lid. This allows the cheese to steam and melt really well.
- Spread a thin layer of the sauce on the bottom bun and then divide the iceberg evenly. Use a spatula to place the ground beef and cheese onto the prepared bottom bun. Top the meat and cheese with the kimchi and white onion.
- Spread another thin layer of the sauce on the inside of the top bun and place the bun on top of the burger. Serve immediately and enjoy!