Loaded Smashed Potatoes
Fully loaded smashed potatoes complete with crispy bacon, a sprinkling of cheese, jalapeños and a dollop of sour cream (or use Greek yogurt). Think of these like a deconstructed jalapeño popper, on a crispy potato *drool*
- 6 medium size yellow flesh potatoes (about 2 lbs.), cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 3 slices bacon, cooked
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, or serrano pepper, sliced (seeded for less heat)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Once boiling, carefully add the halved potatoes. Boil until fork tender, about 15 to 18 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425℉ and line one large baking sheet with parchment paper (or use two smaller baking sheets if needed).
- In a large bowl, toss the potatoes with oil, salt, garlic powder, smoked paprika and chili powder. Use your hands to ensure the potatoes are well coated.
- Place the potatoes, skin side up on the baking sheet and use a large glass or mason jar to smash the potatoes.
- Place in the oven for 45 to 50 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Remove the potatoes and top with cheese, bacon and the peppers. Place in the oven for five minutes to melt the cheese, and broil for one to two minutes if you want them even more browned.
- Top with sour cream or Greek yogurt. Enjoy!