Raw Beet Salad with Carrots & Spiced Lentils
Fresh and raw beet salad with carrots and lentils makes for a delicious meal-prep friendly meal that you can take anywhere.
For the Salad
For the dressing
- Bring a medium sized pot of salted water to a boil. Add the lentils, and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes, until the lentils are cooked through and slightly al dente. Once finished cooking, drain any excess water remaining through a sieve. Return back to the pot and drizzle extra virgin olive oil and season with salt, set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare the almond oil dressing. In a skillet over medium-low heat, add the extra virgin olive oil. Once hot, add the garlic and cook while stirring for about 2 to 3 minutes. Then add the almonds and cook for an additional 3 minutes, until just slightly toasted. Add the cumin seeds, fennel seeds, and chili flakes and turn the heat off.
- Place a small sieve over a small bowl and drain the nut mixture, reserving the oil for later. Place the almonds and spices on a paper towel lined plate and add a pinch of sea salt to them.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the beets into thin uniform matchsticks, shred the carrot, slice the pear and radish into matchsticks and place in a large salad bowl. Add the cooked lentils.
- In a small bowl, whisk the spiced almond oil with the remaining dressing ingredients (lemon juice and zest, sherry vinegar, maple syrup and salt).
- Pour the dressing on the salad and toss well to combine. Fold in the fresh herbs and garnish with flaky salt, or add more salt to taste.