Spicy Tuna on Crispy Rice: AKA Sushi Pizza
Everything you want in a sushi roll, without all the work! This spicy tuna on crispy rice has crunch, flavour and tastes like a sushi pizza.
For the Sushi Rice
For the Wasabi Mayo
For the dressing
For the Toppings
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 avocado sliced thin
- 1/2 watermelon radish sliced into thin matchsticks
- 1 green onion sliced thin, on the bias
- 4 sheets small nori small, snack size, sliced thin into matchsticks
- furikake for garnish, optional
- Add the rinsed sushi rice to a medium sized pot and add the water. Bring to a boil, then reduce, stir and cover with a lid. Cook, until tender, but still chewy, about 15 to 18 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes off of the heat, then add 1/4 cup rice vinegar and stir to combine.
- Meanwhile, while the rice is cooking, add the wasabi powder and the water to a bowl and mix well to form a paste. Add the mayo to the wasabi and mix well. Then add the tuna and mix.
- Make the dressing: in a small saucepan over low heat, add the tamari and coconut sugar and whisk well until the sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the sesame oil and stir.
- Line a counter or a cutting board with parchment paper. Once the rice has cooled, divide the rice in four patties on the parchment paper. Cover with another sheet of parchment paper or plastic wrap. Flatten with your hands, and pat down the patties into four mini pizza shapes.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add a splash of avocado oil. Carefully add the sushi pizza to the skillet and cook until crispy and browned, about 4 to 5 minutes. Then use a spatula to flip and cook the other side for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove and repeat with the remaining sushi pizzas.
- Divide the sushi pizzas onto two plates, add the tamari dressing on top all over each sushi pizza, coating the top. Top with sliced cucumber, avocado, watermelon radish and then then tuna. The top with green onion, nori and furikake if using. Serve right away and enjoy!