Sungold Tomato Pasta
This end of summer sungold tomato pasta is made with beautiful blistered cherry tomatoes, saffron, shallots and garlic for an unbelievably delicious sauce.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and remove 1/4 cup and pour into a bowl. Add the saffron and set aside. Keep the water simmering with a lid to cook the pasta later and season the water with salt.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and add the olive oil. Once hot, add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally until softened and just starting to brown on the edges slightly, about eight to ten minutes.
- Add the garlic and Aleppo pepper and stir to incorporate. Sauté until fragrant, about one to two minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes and reserved saffron and water. Increase the heat to medium and simmer until the tomatoes have started to burst, about ten minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in the large pot of water just short of package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Transfer about 3/4 of the tomato mixture to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Reduce the heat to low and pour the sauce back into the skillet with the remaining tomatoes and add the pasta along with the butter. Use tongs to toss everything together until the sauce has turned glossy and the pasta has cooked a bit more. Add in the parmesan and toss again.
- Divide the pasta onto plates and top with extra parmesan, basil, a sprinkle of sumac and finishing oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!