Vegan Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce
You won't believe how good this vegan butternut squash sauce is! It's creamy, cheezy and savoury and a definite fall and winter staple.
- Soak your cashews in water for at least 1-2 hours, or in a pinch in just boiled water for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the butternut squash in half, removing the seeds and place cut-side down on the baking sheet. Bake for 30-35 minutes until cooked through. Add the garlic cloves (wrapped in foil) alongside if roasting.
- Wash and dry your sage leaves and heat up a small pan over medium heat. Add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil or ghee and fry the sage until crispy, about 4-5 minutes. Then remove and set aside.
- Remove the butternut squash and let cool while you boil some water in a pot for your pasta and cook according to package directions. Once cooked, drain and add back into the pot.
- Once you add the pasta back into your pot, add the spinach to it so that it has time to wilt a little with the heat of the pasta.
- Once the squash has cooled slightly, scoop out 2 cups and add to a blender along with the drained cashews, water, roasted garlic, vinegar, smoked paprika, chili powder, sea salt and 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add the sauce to your pasta, top with toasted pumpkin seeds and crispy sage. Serve and enjoy!