Vegan Gyros: With Pulled Jackfruit
Crispy jackfruit, Greek veggies and a vegan tzatziki are combined to make these delicious vegan gyros.
For the Vegan Tzatziki
- 1/2 cucumber shredded
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup dill fresh, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp mint fresh, finely chopped
- 1 cup oat milk yogurt unsweetened
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Jackfruit
For the Veggies
- 1/2 cucumber sliced
- 1/2 red onion sliced thin
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup Greek Mother Raw dressing
- pinch salt and fresh black pepper
- 8 leaves romaine lettuce
- 4 pitas
Make the Tzatziki
- Drain the shredded cucumber with a fine mesh sieve or nut milk bag to ensure as much water as possible is removed. Then place the cucumber in a bowl along with the garlic, mint, dill, yogurt, lemon juice, sea salt and pepper. Stir to combine and then place in the fridge while you prepare the rest.
Make the Jackfruit
- Drain the jackfruit in a sieve and cut the pointy tip off of the jackfruit. using your hands, shred the jackfruit and place in a plate lined with paper towel and set aside.
- In a dutch oven, over medium heat, add the avocado oil. Once hot, add the onion and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until softened. Then add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add the smoked paprika, chile powder, cumin and oregano and stir. Add the tomato paste and the jackfruit and stir to combine and mix well. Then add the tamari, maple syrup and lemon juice and stir. Cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, until softened. Squash the jackfruit pieces with the back of a wooden spoon while it's cooking to break them apart more if needed.
- Turn the oven to 400ºF (204ºC) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the jackfruit pieces to the sheet pan and bake for 10 minutes, remove, flip the pieces around and bake for 5 minutes more. Turn the oven to broil and cook for 4 to 5 minutes until crispy.
Make the veggies
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, add the cucumber, onion, tomatoes, olives and the Mother Raw dressing. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
Assemble the pitas
- Lay out each pita, top with romaine lettuce, then add the veggie mix, followed by the crispy jackfruit. Drizzle the tzatziki on top. Serve and enjoy!