Are Face Toners Necessary: The Best Ones For Your Skin
Do you really need a face toner? I haven't always used a toner to be honest and was always wondering are face toners really necessary? What is their purpose and do we need a different one depending on our skin type? Because I am not a skincare expert (I just really like skincare and beauty), I also wanted to get some perspective from an actual expert as well. My goal in writing this post is to get to the facts about face toners and to share how I use them.
Are Face Toners Necessary?
This is the question I have been wondering myself lately. I'll admit, I used to use a toner all the time, then I stopped because I didn't understand its purpose. Now, I am back on the toner train. But what do they do exactly? As a teen, I remember being quite diligent about using a toner to help with pimples. Those were the days of alcohol-laden toners that left a squeaky clean feeling on my face. I loved that feeling. I thought that was what I needed to keep acne and pimples at bay. So because my skin is mostly blemish free, are face toners necessary anymore?
Toners come in a lot more variety these days (thankfully). There are some that are designed to hydrate, some to combat oiliness and others for combination skin. You want to look for one with ingredients that help whichever skin type you have.
For dry skin, look for the following:
- Hydrating ingredients such as: cucumber, aloe, jojoba, water and other oils as well as one that exfoliates.
- Products I recommend include:
- Josh Rosebrook Hydrating Accelerator: my all time fav, I've purchased it at least 3 times now, I like using it in the morning before applying serums and moisturizers.
- Indie Lee, COQ-10 Toner: also a tried and true favourite, I like using it day and night)
- May Lindstrom Jasmine Garden: (the smell alone is worth the price tag)
- Odacite Aloe + Immortelle Hydra-Repair Treatment Mist
- Tata Harper Hydrating Floral Mist: (the smell is great!)
For rosacea, and sensitive skin, try the following:
- Look for minimal ingredients, I recommend:
- MV Skincare Rose Hydrating Mist
For oily skin, look for the following:
- Purifying ingredients such as: salicylic acid, peppermint, green tea and rose.
- Products I recommend include:
- Odacite Mint + Green Tea Hydra-Purifying Treatment Mist
- Province Apothecary Invigorating + Balancing Toner
Why Are Face Toners Necessary... For Me:
As I have more dry skin, I always thought toners weren't necessary for me. But the truth is, they have helped my skin retain more moisture, look and feel more hydrated and keep my skin looking dewy and fresh. I also love using them to set my makeup and in the hot summer months, nothing is better than spritzing a little mist on my face. Pro tip: keep your favourite mist in the fridge and use it cold in the summer.
How I use Facial Toners:
- The other great thing about applying a toner is that they help increase the absorption of your other products.
- If you are using oils, they should be applied on slightly damp skin.
- After cleansing, I always apply a toner, then my serum or oil, followed by a cream (or SPF for daytime) last.
- If I'm doing this at night, I like to apply my toner after cleansing to ensure that all of my makeup and anything else is removed in full.
- Throughout the day, if I feel I need a boost, I also re-apply with a little mist action.
- If I need to touch up my makeup in the evening after wearing it all day, I always start with a little mist as well. I find it helps my makeup go on better and then I usually set with another small spritz.
- I really feel like it makes my skin look more refreshed and awake and so in the morning, after washing my face I also like to spray with a toner as well.
- The thing is with dry skin, it can look a little dull and fine lines and wrinkles also tend to show up more. Staying hydrated with a toner is essential for maintaining elasticity, suppleness, moisture and overall a more youthful appearance.
So to answer the question- are face toners necessary, I would say yes!
Five Reasons You Want to Use a Face Toner:
- It helps increase the absorption of your other products.
- It keeps your skin looking fresh and hydrated.
- It helps to ensure your face is properly cleansed and your makeup has been removed.
- Nothing feels better on your face than a spritz of toner on a hot day.
- It helps minimize fine lines and wrinkles as it makes your skin more supple and smooth.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only share products and services I have personally used and love. Disclosure here.
So what doe you think. Are face toners necessary for you?