Roasted Cauliflower with Tahini
These za'atar roasted cauliflower florets with a tahini sauce, dates and pumpkin seeds are packed with flavour and make a stunning side to any main.
- 1 large head cauliflower, chopped into florets (2 - 2 1/2 lbs.)
- 1/4 cup, plus 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 5 tsps za'atar spice blend
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (raw)
- 1/2 tsp sumac (optional)
- 4 medjool dates (softened in hot water if needed), pit removed and chopped
- 2 tbsps chopped Italian parsley
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF.
- Spread the cauliflower florets on two large baking sheets and drizzle with 1/4 cup of the oil. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle the za'atar evenly among the florets. Rub the seasoning well into the cauliflower, adding a drizzle more oil if needed to be sure it's coated.
- Transfer both baking sheets to the oven and bake for 10 minutes and then reduce the heat to 425ºF. Continue baking for ten more minutes, then remove and flip the florets over. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes longer, until browned in spots and roasted.
- While the cauliflower is baking, make the tahini sauce. Pour the tahini into a medium sized bowl and add in the water, lemon juice and garlic. Whisk very well until fully incorporated and the tahini turns into a pale white colour. Drizzle in the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oll and whisk to incorporate. Season with 1/4 tsp of salt. Set aside.
- In a small skillet over medium-low heat, add the pumpkin seeds and a small drizzle of olive oil. Cook until toasted and seeds begin to pop, about five minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with the sumac and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- Spread the tahini mixture over a serving dish and place the cauliflower and chopped dates on top. Garnish with the pumpkin seeds and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!