Air Fryer KFC Chicken
This super crispy air fryer KFC chicken is made with way less oil, easy to make and incredibly delicious.
- In a large bowl, pour in the buttermilk. Add the chicken pieces and cover with plastic wrap and let sit overnight.
- When ready to cook, combine the flour along with all of the spices, salt and nutritional yeast (if using) in a large baking dish or bowl.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge and pour in about 1/4 cup of the buttermilk to the flour mixture and mix to combine. This creates some craggily bits on the chicken.
- If making the chicken legs (bone-in) make them first. Preheat the air fryer. Remove the legs and place in the flour and coat on all sides, tapping any excess off.
- Turn the air fryer to 370ºF. Add the chicken legs to the basket and spray well with oil. Bake for 22 to 24 minutes, checking halfway to see if more oil needs to be sprayed on any floury/dry spots. There is no need to flip the pieces.
- Place a wire rack over a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (for easier cleanup). Remove the chicken legs and immediately sprinkle with flaky salt on top and then place on the wire rack and place in the oven on the lowest setting to keep warm if making more chicken.
- For the thighs, repeat the same technique as the legs and place in the air fryer. Bake at 350ºF for 15 minutes, checking halfway to spray any dry/floury spots. There is no need to flip the pieces over.
- After 15 minutes, increase the temperature to 360ºF and bake for four to five minutes, until browned and crispy on top. Immediately sprinkle with flaky salt.
- Serve all the chicken pieces together and enjoy!